The Kuumba Kickback is a Black Girls Create program designed to highlight and celebrate fans and creators of color. Through panels, artist showcases, community events, and more, we hope this three-day event will prompt you to have deep, critical conversations about your favorite fan properties and inspire you to develop your own creative works. We strive for all BGC programming to be a safe space for everyone, but will always center the needs of Black folks, specifically.
Our Safety and Accessibility Policy is in place to help keep the Kuumba Kickback safe and in line with our mission. Any violation of these rules may result in being banned from the Kuumba Kickback and other BGC programs and events. Thank you for taking the time to read it, and your commitment to making sure this event is safe for everyone.
Code of Conduct
- Be inclusive.
- While the Kuumba Kickback is first and foremost in celebration of fans and creators of color, we accept and support people of all backgrounds and identities. This includes, but is not limited to, members of any sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, social and economic class, educational level, color, immigration status, sex, age, size, family status, political belief, religion, and mental and physical ability.
- Racism, sexism, transphobia, queerphobia, or other forms of bigotry are not welcome nor tolerated.
- Be respectful.
- Because our audience comes from different backgrounds and have different experiences, it is inevitable that disagreement, debate, and discourse will occur. We ask that folks stay respectful in their interactions with others. An environment where people feel unwelcome or threatened is not a productive or creative one.
- Speak and Engage with Intention
- The Kuumba Kickback aims to be safe and welcoming to all who participate. This means people from all walks of life, with various experiences, backgrounds, locations, and more. We ask that everyone be mindful of their words and actions, we also ask that you engage with everyone in good faith and with positive intention.
- Harassment and exclusionary behavior will not be tolerated. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Threats of violence.
- Discriminatory jokes and language.
- Sharing sexually explicit or violent material without warning or consent.
- Personal insults, especially those using racist or sexist terms.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
Any person found in violation of our guidelines will be removed from the Black Girls Create Discord and blocked from BGC’s YouTube. This may also result in a permanent ban from the Kuumba Kickback and other future Black Girls Create programming. Action will be taken based on the discretion of the Black Girls Create team.
BGC is a small team and in the midst of running the con it is possible we will miss infractions in real time. Therefore we ask that if you see something that is in violation of our guidelines that you report it.
The Kuumba Kickback will be streamed to YouTube through Streamyard.
- For captions, we recommend using Google Chrome on a computer and turning on the Live Captioning feature. For a step by step on how to set this up, go here.
- Additionally, you can use Web Captioner in most browsers on most devices, including mobile.
- For those on mobile, we will have captions streaming in Discord.
Black Girls Create Discord Community Guidelines
While the Kuumba Kickback will largely take place on YouTube, we will have a few events and programs that take place on our Discord. If you have never previously been a part of a Discord server, consider reading this FAQ before you get started.